If you click on the "Customer Segmentation" menu option in the admin console, you will see a list of defined segments. Here you can add a new segments, edit and delete existing segments.
You can filter the list by typing in the name of the segment you want to find.
Each segment has an avatar defined to it, e.g. PureClarity allows you to choose an avatar color and description which is used throughout the system.
You’ll see next to the avatar the conditions that are used to define the segment. They are made up of variables which hold information about an individual’s activity over time. In the simple example above we define "Number of Visits = 0" as First Time Visitor (FTV).
The segments are defined using variables and conditions.
The definition of each term is shown below:
- "Segment Variable"- a piece of information relating to an individual’s activity over time, e.g., "Number Of Visits" or "Number of Orders."
- "Segment Condition"– a rule that is tested against a Segment Variable that evaluates to either True or False, e.g. "Number of Visits = 0."
- "Segment" made up of one or more Segment Conditions. An individual will be in a Segment if their location, demographics or behavior match all the conditions of the segment.
Segment Variables are standard variables that holds information about each individual's activity on the site. They are grouped into different types: Visits, Searches, Views, Abandonment, Orders, Purchases, Favorites, Reviews & Ratings and Time Habits.
Each group has a set of variables that you can use to create customer segments. For example, Visits has the following variables: Number of Visits, Number of Pages Viewed, Current Time Spent on Site, Days Since Left Site, Days Since Last Visit and Months Since Last Visit
So for example, Number of Visits, represents the number of visits ever made by an individual. You can time slice these variables as part of a Condition so that you can see the Number of Visits over a certain time period, such as "last month."
To create a segment you need to have one or more Segment Conditions. A Segment Condition has one of the following formats:
- Segment Variable, [TIME], TEST "Value"
- e.g. Number of Visits, [Last Visit], Is Equal To ‘0’
- Segment Variable <"Qualifier">, [TIME], TEST "Value"
- e.g. Percent of Spend on Category <"Shoes">, [Since "1st January 2015"], Is Greater Than "20%"
Everyone, as the name suggests, is the segment that everyone will sit in. This is the default segment that PureClarity uses if it can’t match individuals to other segments. This is not listed in the Segment List as you can’t edit the segment but it is a fundamental concept within PureClarity.
To delete a customer segment click on the garbage can icon. The segment will be removed from the list. However, it is worth noting that PureClarity does not remove the segment from all the data it has collected over the years. This is because you will still be able to report on removed segments and PureClarity’s AI will have adapted to the segment information.
To edit a Segment click on the edit iconon the Segment List and to add a new segment click on the "Add Segment" button at the bottom of the Segment List.
You will then be shown the Edit Segment screen.
The edit Segment screen allows you to add/change an Avatar, name the Segment, add notes and add multiple conditions. Save will take you back to the Segment List.