Customer Segmentation is used to classify customers and visitors into groups. A Segment can be built using a number of different Conditions based on a visitor's browsing, searching and buying behavior.
Segments are used to present relevant and personalized search results, personalized recommendations and targeted images to groups of individuals. In this way, customers and visitors are targeted based on their behavior as well as crowd-based trends. An individual can belong to one or more Segments and this can change over time as they change their behavior.
Segmentation is used in two ways in PureClarity:
- You can use Segmentation to target groups of customers with Personalized Campaigns that include specific Recommenders (product, category or brand) and targeted promotional images or carousels, e.g. You may want to incentivise First Time Visitors to make a purchase by offering 10% off.
- Behind the scenes, PureClarity's Artificial Intelligence (AI) Engine and learning algorithms use the Segments defined to continually improve the relevancy of search results and recommender content both onsite and in email.
To get you started, PureClarity is configured with five out-of-the-box Segments:
- First Time Visitor – First ever visit to the site
- Returning Visitor Not Bought – Visitor returning to the site who hasn’t yet made a purchase
- Multi-time Customer – Loyal multi-time customers within the past 6 months
- VIP Customers – Customers with more than * purchases and an AOV of over £**
- Off the Grid – Visitors who have purchased, but not in the last 6 months
PureClarity also utilizes an 'Everyone' Segment. This Segment captures all visitors and is used in the Default Campaign and cannot be edited or deleted.
Find out how to edit, add or remove Segments here.
You can choose to run PureClarity totally hands-off and it will use its AI to personalize the experience based on the out-of-the-box segments. However, you can further optimize PureClarity by defining your own Segments or extending those configured by PureClarity using Conditions. Conditions are defined within the PureClarity dashboard and are based on the behavioral data collected including time habits, visits, favorite brands or categories. For example, you may want to split the Returning Visitor Not Bought in to two segments:
Returning Visitor Searched 'Beds' Not Bought
Returning Visitor Not Bought
Find out how to define a Segment using Conditions here.
In addition to the Conditions defined in the PureClarity dashboard, if you have collected any additional data about your customers you can create your own custom Conditions. Custom Conditions may include State/Country Location, Gender or even Birthday.
If you would like to discuss custom Conditions in more detail please contact your Success Manager.
Once your Segments are active and PureClarity is gathering behavioral data you can export your customers by segments. The export is provided as a cvs file and contains the email address of all customers who fit a segment. This export can be used in Campaign Emails. To learn more see Exporting Customers by Segment.